Powered by Blogger.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Why does my crond fails to start?

Why does my crond fails to start?

 


Which software do you use for processing RAW images?


aperture
dcraw
lightroom
rawstudio
rawtherapee
ufraw
ufraw-batch

( 82 votes ~ 4 comments )

Recent Weblogs PHP, MySQL, and SSL? by dkg 9 comments A new book on shell scripting by kumanna 1 comment Reboot with a broomstick, a piece of gum, and tape by emeitner Lost with the sendmail.conf system by jesperkp 4 comments automated file deletion by sajidgilani 1 comment [error] (9)Bad file descriptor: apr_socket_accept: by simonw Why do upgraded servers not come back from reboot? by lykwydchykyn 4 comments I have a Debian box again by blackm 1 comment How to forward UDP Broadcasts? by mag whiteboard.debian.net by rkd 1 comment More Weblogs Archived Weblogs Debian Administration System Administration Tips and Resources [ About | Adverts | Archive | FAQ | Hall of Fame | Search | Tag Cloud | Why does my crond fails to start?

Posted by lloyd on Tue 19 Oct 2010 at 12:37

function addTag(url){ $("#current_tags").load( url, function() { $("#new_tag").val( "" ) $("#add_tag").hide() })} $(document).ready(function(){ $("#new_tag").autocomplete("/ajax.cgi?tag_complete=1;"); $('a#toggle').click(function() { $('#add_tag').toggle(400); })} ) Tags: cron, questions

Due to a disk crash I've had to rebuild my Debian Lenny system. For some reason I can't get my cron-fired backup scripts to run. They will run manually.


It looks like crond is not running. If I try to start it, here's what I get:

Pancho:/home/lloyd# /etc/init.d/cron startStarting periodic command scheduler: crond failed!

More information:

lloyd@Pancho:~$ /etc/init.d/cron startStarting periodic command scheduler: crond/etc/init.d/cron: line 54: start-stop-daemon: command not found failed!

Yet:

lloyd@Pancho:/sbin$ ls -l start-stop-daemon-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 24280 2010-03-08 15:54 start-stop-daemon

So, the system can't find start-stop-daemon when I try to start cron from the user account. But, when I add /sbin to user PATH var, I get the same error message as when I try to start from root.

lloyd@Pancho:~$ /etc/init.d/cron startStarting periodic command scheduler: crond failed!

Clearly the problem failure to find start-stop-daemon is not the problem and I'm still in the dark.


Is there a wise wizard in the house who can help me diagnose and solve this problem?


 

<<< DebianInstaller Remotely with Multiple Network Interfaces Publishing host services to OpenPGP with Monkeysphere >>>

Why are these adverts here?

#1 Re: Why does my crond fails to start? Posted by Anonymous (152.62.xx.xx) on Tue 19 Oct 2010 at 13:10
Your should run "/etc/init.d/cron start" with root privileges. use 'sudo' or 'su' [ Parent | Reply to this comment ]


#5 Re: Why does my crond fails to start? Posted by Anonymous (195.26.xx.xx) on Tue 19 Oct 2010 at 16:01
start-stop-daemon is in /sbin, which isn't in the path unless you are root, so not being root when you try and run the /etc/init.d/cron script is likely the cause of this error. [ Parent | Reply to this comment ]


#6 Re: Why does my crond fails to start? Posted by Anonymous (195.26.xx.xx) on Tue 19 Oct 2010 at 16:03
[replying to own comment after actually reading the whole post and seeing that you're already looking in /sbin, running as root etc]

Look in the logs in /var/log/messages (or similar) and it will tell you why it's failing :) Also, don't bother trying to run /etc/init.d/* scripts as any user but root, as that's what they'll get run as on startup. [ Parent | Reply to this comment ]


#2 Re: Why does my crond fails to start? Posted by Steve (2001:0xx:0xx:0xxx:0xxx:0xxx:xx) on Tue 19 Oct 2010 at 13:37
[ Send Message | View Steve's Scratchpad | View Weblogs ]

What happens if you try to run start-stop-daemon directly?birthday:~# /sbin/start-stop-daemon /sbin/start-stop-daemon: need one of --start or --stopTry '/sbin/start-stop-daemon --help' for more information.

That is what you should see, but if you don't that might point out a missing library, or an architecture issue. (ie if "file /sbin/start-stop-daemon" shows it is a 64-bit exec and you're running a 32-bit kernel you'll get an exec-format error).

Steve [ Parent | Reply to this comment ]


#3 Re: Why does my crond fails to start? Posted by Anonymous (92.65.xx.xx) on Tue 19 Oct 2010 at 13:59
I think you may miss the daemon.
I have ubuntu here, so I can't give the proper name
of the daemon, but if you let your packagemanager search all
packages which have "cron" in their name, you could find the
one missing.
[ Parent | Reply to this comment ]


#4 Re: Why does my crond fails to start? Posted by Anonymous (91.189.xx.xx) on Tue 19 Oct 2010 at 14:26
1. Check the syslog/messages files
2. Run (as root) '/bin/sh -x /etc/init.d/crond start'
3. Go from there [ Parent | Reply to this comment ]


#7 Re: Why does my crond fails to start? Posted by Anonymous (83.65.xx.xx) on Tue 19 Oct 2010 at 18:35
(one of the cron Maintainers here)

If this happened after a crash, the most probable cause is that cron is bailing out because it cannot create or read a critical file.

Possible culprits:
/var/run
/var/spool/cron drwxr-xr-x 5 root root
/var/spool/cron/crontabs drwx-wx--T 2 root crontab

...and others. As others already pointed out, check your log files for possible pointers. [ Parent | Reply to this comment ]


#10 broken cron daemons Posted by Anonymous (91.83.xx.xx) on Wed 20 Oct 2010 at 14:34
I saw so bad cron packages on Slackware I couldnt believe they put that into the distro. We were laughing with my friend on how crond does not executes the tasks. So after that no wonder that I found many messed up crons in freebsds.

Lets see FBSD 7.1
First scripts simply didn't work which was executed from cron and I got no useful debug logs but eventually I figured out the problem is the broken path variable inside crontab what I fixed up:

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
HOME=/var/log

Then guess what. Randomly after 3 days cron stops executing commands again (crond is running, nothing useful in the log). [ Parent | Reply to this comment ]


#8 Re: Why does my crond fails to start? Posted by Anonymous (173.48.xx.xx) on Tue 19 Oct 2010 at 19:46
Thanks to all for your generous help.

Turns out the problem was much deeper than crond. Shortly after I posted this my system totally froze, couldn't even get a terminal window. I powered down and powered up. When it got to the log-in screen it refused both my user and root credentials.

I rebuilt the system yesterday and cron works a charm.

Thanks again,

LRP [ Parent | Reply to this comment ]


#9 Re: Why does my crond fails to start? Posted by Anonymous (84.14.xx.xx) on Wed 20 Oct 2010 at 10:43
It seems there's 2 problems, one with start-stop-demon (you solved it) and another one. Perhaps some permission problem on /var/spool/cron ? [ Parent | Reply to this comment ]



Articles and comments are the property of their respective posters.


Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc.


This site is copyright © 2004-2010 Steve Kemp.
Site hosting provided by Bytemark Hosting.


Email: webmaster@debian-administration.org


0 comments

Post a Comment